Monday, June 29, 2009

Madoff Madness

NEW YORK (June 29) - Convicted Wall Street swindler Bernard Madoff was sentenced to 150 years in prison Monday for a fraud so extensive that the judge said he needed to send a message to potential imitators and to victims who demanded harsh punishment.
Madoff hurt a lot of people. He stole their life savings and reportedly some of his victims committed suicide. He didn't take a gun and put it to somone's head. However, he's just as guilty because he caused their death. Generally it's very easy for me to point a finger at white men in fancy suits, that are undercover criminals (Joe Deters--allegedly). I criticize young men of color that commit crimes but I don't point my finger at them because enough people do that already.
Now comes the case of Madoff. How will he survive in jail? How do you go from the penthouse to the big house? By stealing folks money--yeah....terrible thing he did.
Still he's got that I'm such a "pathetic person look" that kinda makes me feel sorry for him. But I don't feel more sorry for him than I feel for his victims. I'd be angry if someone stole one of my paychecks, let alone my life savings.
Did anybody see that clip on the news--the one in which the photographer pushes Madoff in order to take his picture? How dare he do that? Sure Madoff was wrong. But my grandmother used to say that two wrongs don't make a right. And that photographer was wrong. The guy that threw the shoes at George Bush was wrong. Justified, of course. But they were wrong.
Once again another rambling and unedited post by yours truly.
Best........

0 comments: